Monday, October 1, 2012

If I Can See It, It's Not Faith


“Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”  Hebrews 11:1
A famous tightrope walker had strung his rope out over Niagara Falls.  People came from miles around to see him make it safely from one side to the other.  He asked the crowd, “Who here believes that I can make it across safely?”  People cheered as most of the hands shot into the air.  He then asked a second question, “Who wants to sit in this wheelbarrow while I push it to the other side?”  Not a hand was seen, and crickets could be heard chirping through the silence.  They “believed” him, but they didn’t trust him.

Aren’t we like that?  “Lord, I believe your promises!”
He replies, “Great!  Step out of the boat…stretch forth your hand…take up your bed and walk….go fish for a coin….”

And all of a sudden, we have something else that we need to be doing somewhere very far away.
I was 33 when I got married, and I let my husband know that I needed to keep XXXX amount of dollars in the bank as a cushion for me to feel secure.  This past year, the Lord led us to leave my husband’s job and move to my hometown…with no job.  We were to go into full-time ministry, but not with an organization.  How does that work???  I really don’t know, except for the fact that several times through this last year the Lord has asked me, “Where is your trust?  Is it in Me or is it in your bank account?”

God has promised that He will provide.  My part is to have faith, and I’m learning that faith means I can’t see how it’s going to work out.  If I can, it’s not faith.  Simple enough to say, but so much more challenging to live.

“I believe!  Lord, help my unbelief!”

Trusting Him,
Carrie

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates