Friday, October 5, 2012

Winter Flowers


Our first garden post!  Jenny is coming on board with a monthly garden tip for us all.  Her first post is about winter flowers, and hers are LOVELY!  I might try some this year. 

Trusting Him,
Carrie

Winter Flowers

We're in the middle of my favorite time of year! From fall through the clear cold winter days & into spring is my favorite time to be outside enjoying creation. It's also my busiest time with so many things going on away from home. To be sure that I always get my daily reminder that God loves me through the winter, I plant winter flowers. As I go in & out, I see them blooming on my front steps. Through the fall they grow strong digging in deep roots to help them through the winter. When winter comes & sometimes covers them with snow & ice, I know they're under there waiting for warm days to push back out again. Even on cold clear days, they open their faces to the sun & shine to encourage me, and when early spring creeps in, they thrive again.

pansies & one small violet viola from 2008-09
My favorite flowers to plant for winter blooms are pansies & violas. Pansies have larger blooms but violas make more flowers. I break off the spent blooms two or three times a week so they bloom even more. Plant them in a container with good potting soil or in the ground in your garden beds. Add Jobes or Miracle Grow plant spikes for healthier plants & more blooms. I usually put 5 to 7 spikes for each container. Make sure they're kept watered through the winter if it doesn't rain or snow, & let them remind you that God's love for you gives you flowers through the winter.


freshly planted yellow violas
 
Enjoy!
Jenny

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates