Monday, September 10, 2012

Hospitality -- This Summer's Lesson


I was never the great immaculate housekeeper.
·         Dishes?  It’s a constant struggle to stay on top of them.  (I have to remind myself that dirty dishes are a sign that my family has plenty to eat, and I am thankful for that!) 
·         Mopping?  Not my forte.  When did that happen last?  Don’t ask, and don’t look too closely at my kitchen floor! 
·         Dusting?  My mom has lovely glassware that has not been dusted in the year that we’ve lived with my dad…I don’t know that it’s been dusted since my mom died!
I have three kids that are four and under, and I have realized that my time with them is so very brief.  As long as we’re not living in filth or a complete mess, I try to let it go.  (Mama needs clear floor spaces to maintain a modicum of sanity!) 
I know that for some, a spotless house is something they do well, and I am happy for them.  It’s never been my strong suit, though.
How does this play into hospitality?  For a long time, I put off having people in my home if I was not going to have time to achieve the “spotless” house.  And if someone should drop by?  Heavens!  I would vilify myself before them and apologize profusely for the disarray of my home.
Well, the Lord’s been breaking me of what has been, for me, a self-centered viewpoint.  Hospitality is not about the state of my home.
It is about being welcoming.
It is about sharing Jesus love.
It is about developing community and family.
This summer, the Lord has had me call people at 5:00pm on days that I was not expecting to entertain to ask people to dinner.  One night I even posted an open invitation to dinner on my Facebook page…at 5:45p.m.! 
This is not about me…and I guess that’s the point.  I have to get over myself, and what I want people to think of me in order to be the hands and feet of Jesus.
So, if you want to come to dinner, the house might not be clean, and it might be 8:00 before we eat,
…but the fellowship will be sweet.
…there will be enough (if you go away hungry, it’s your own fault!).
…and you will be welcome. 
Just call before you come, ok?

In Him, Carrie

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
For children grow up, we've learned to our sorrow
So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep

Got this poem in a cross stitched gift when Nicole was born - gulp - 25 years ago. Hope you and the family are well! Tell your dad I said hello :)

The HeartLife Team said...

Wonderful reminder, Stefanie! Love that poem. Can hardly believe Nicole's 25! Where does the time go? We're well. I will tell Daddy. Come see us the next time you're up. Love you!
Carrie

Post a Comment

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates