Wednesday, February 12, 2014

No Planting Among Thorns

Jeremiah 4:3
New English Translation (NET)
Yes, the Lord has this to say
to the people of Judah and Jerusalem:
“Like a farmer breaking up hard unplowed ground,
you must break your rebellious will and make a new beginning;
just as a farmer must clear away thorns lest the seed is wasted,
you must get rid of the sin that is ruining your lives.

Close your eyes.  Imagine two fields side by side.  One is plowed up into straight furrows.  The soil is dark and rich and fertile and receptive to the warm spring rain.  The neighboring field lies fallow.  It is unplowed, untended.  It looks cold and hard and useless.  Now imagine those fields months later.  One is green and full of life and promise.  The other is dotted with sparse patches of stubborn crab grass and weeds.  Brambles have grown up and taken over.

Francis Chan, in his book, Crazy Love, references The Parable of the Sower. (Mathew 13:1-18) and makes this comment to Christians –“Don’t assume you are the good soil”

In December, shortly after Christmas, a beautiful sister in Christ went home to the arms of Jesus after a long and grueling battle with cancer.  Janet Pate was the good soil.  We were in a bible study together for years and every time she prayed, every time she testified, every time she opened her mouth, I wanted to be like her.  She was the woman who could quote scripture from memory to fit any trial or triumph.  She blogged her journey with cancer and had followers from not only around the country but also around the world.  She videoed shaving her head when her hair began to fall out from the chemotherapy and she thanked God that the chemo was working as evidenced by the hair she was losing.  Janet was the embodiment of the scriptural directive “In everything give thanks.”  She praised the sovereignty of God even in her worst days and anyone who had ever met her, called her “friend”.

I sat in the Celebration of Life service for Janet and cried; not just a few stray tears, I cried to the point of feeling drained when it was all over.  I cried not just for the loss of her on earth or for the sorrow and pain her family and friends would feel in her absence.  I cried because I knew that I was not the good soil and I wanted to be.  I wanted to plow up the fallow ground of my heart more than ever.  I was ready to dig up brambles and thorns that I had been unwilling to pull up previously.  I thought about my friend, her relationship, her peace in living and in dying, and I saw how her life meant something.  It meant something for Jesus.  It meant something real.  Janet left a legacy of not just believing in a god but of believing and trusting and loving God.


...So I prayed.  I asked God to help me get rid of the junk in my way.  I asked Him to get me started.  He is faithful to answer when we are repentant and seeking.  I remembered something that Carrie Hurley had said to me on our McPherson Mission Trip.  So I called her.  I asked her to pray with me and in The Parlor she and Jenna Hall, prayed with me while I poured out so much useless junk (anger, unforgiveness, fear) that had been harbored, unconfessed and unresolved for so long.  I was so nervous, confessing aloud my failures and sins. These young women came along side me and helped me begin the process with God to “plow up the fallow ground.”  There is more to this story.  I’ll share that in the coming posts but today I end with this encouragement.  “The journey of a thousand steps begins with one” as the saying goes.  Just because you are not good soil today does not mean that you cannot be good soil.  You have to be willing to admit your condition, confess you sin, and give God the plow.  The process of plowing, breaking, cutting, stripping away…I’m not going to lie, it hurts in the beginning, but in light of God’s word in Isaiah 30, particularly verses 1, 9 and 12-15, lying fallow, holding onto those familiar sins, refusing to submit to God’s will, brings sorrow and bareness.  He promises “In return and rest you will be saved; quietness and trust will be your strength."  Don’t drag it out.  Break up your unplowed ground so that the good seed will not be lost among thorns and do it today.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates